Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Forget Them: What Does God Say?

"I can't believe what they're saying about me," the distraught voice said on the other end of the phone.  "They're painting me out to be this horrible person and now people are going to view me differently" she cried.

I held the phone to my ear, silently listening to her rant and cry about some rumors that were spreading about her. After about five minutes of her trying to dispel what they were saying, I'd taken all I could.  I couldn't listen anymore.

I interjected, "Who cares what they say? Who are they anyway? What does God say about you? That's the only voice that matters. Let go of those lies they are telling and embrace God's truth concerning you?"

"Ain't nobody got time for that" I added to lighten the mood.

She chuckled a bit, took a deep breath, and told me I was right.  "I know who I am in Christ; forget them," she said.

"Exactly" I confirmed, "What they say doesn't suddenly change who God says you are."

We went on to talk about other girl stuff, but the beginning of our lengthy conversation stuck in my mind long after we'd hung up the phone.

How easily we often get caught up and thrown out of sorts over what people say about us.  If you've ever experienced character assassination at the mouth of others, then you know exactly how my friend felt.

But listen, people will be people. For whatever reason, they lie on you, they discourage you, they say all kinds of things against you -- though you may not like it and it may not feel good, it really doesn't matter what they say.  At the end of the day only Your Creator - God - has the power to identify who you are.

Be not dismayed when others speak negatively about you; their words hold no merit.  Don't waste your time trying to chase down and dispel rumors, lies, and gossip. Instead, focus that energy on being everything that God says you are.

What exactly does God say about you?

He says...

You are fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)

You are His special treasure. (Deuteronomy 7:6)

You are the apple of His eye. (Psalm 17:8)

You are His child. (Ephesians 1:5)

You are protected from the evil one. (1 John 5:18)

You are holy; clothed in kindness, mercy, humility, and gentleness. (Colossians 3:12)

You are chosen and loved. (Ephesians 1:4.11)

You are His masterpiece. (Ephesians 2:10)

You are His friend. (John 15:15)

Know the real truth about you are according to the word of God.  Close your ears to what they are saying, and open your Bible to hear what God says about you. It is filled with beautiful truths.

Be Beautiful!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment